Trump ‘very happy’ with Mecca agreement

Trump ‘very happy’ with Mecca agreement

NYM Desk

Published: 04:52 PM, 17 August 2026

US President Donald Trump has welcomed the Mecca joint defense agreement signed between Saudi Arabia, Turkey and Pakistan. At the same time, Tehran has criticized Canada’s participation in the US war against Iran. On the other hand, renewed tensions have arisen as Israeli attacks continue in southern Lebanon despite the ceasefire.

In a post on the social media Truth Social on Sunday (August 16), Trump said that he was ‘very happy’ that Saudi Arabia, Turkey and Pakistan finally signed the Mecca joint defense agreement.

Trump said that the agreement shows how the Middle East is uniting and how countries can more effectively ensure their own defense. Congratulating the leadership of the three countries, he called the agreement a ‘big, bold and important first step’.

Criticism of Canada’s participation in Iran’s war

Iran has strongly criticized Canada’s participation in the US war against Iran. The country’s Foreign Ministry spokesman, Ismail Baghai, questioned Canada’s position in a message on social media on Sunday.

He said the US calls Canada its ‘51st state’, imposes tariffs on Canadian goods and threatens Canada on various issues. Yet Ottawa is participating in the US-led war against Iran to appease the US.

Baghai asked what Canada is getting in return. He quipped, ‘This is not Hockey Night in Canada; this is Washington’s farm team.’

Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney had earlier said in March that Canada was ready to cooperate in efforts to reopen the Strait of Hormuz, a sign of Ottawa’s support for broader US goals in the Middle East.

Israeli attack in southern Lebanon

Despite the ceasefire in effect, the Israeli army attacked the town of Hadatha in the Bint Jbeil district of southern Lebanon on Sunday.

According to the Lebanese state news agency, Israeli troops opened fire with automatic weapons in the western part of the town. At the same time, Israeli military vehicles were also reported to be moving inside the town.

Earlier, on March 2, Israel launched a massive airstrike on Lebanon and occupied several areas in the south of the country. According to the Lebanese government, the number of displaced people at that time exceeded one million.

The Lebanon-Israel ceasefire that came into effect on April 17 was later extended several times. However, despite the ceasefire, Israeli forces continued to carry out airstrikes in Lebanon in the early hours of August 15.

According to the Lebanese Ministry of Health, 4,346 people have been killed in Israeli attacks in the country since March 2.

Israeli airstrikes were reported on the outskirts of the southern Lebanese town of Al-Qantara early Monday. Local media reported that Israeli forces shelled the town of Al-Mansouri in the same region.

An explosive-laden drone hit a house in the town of Kafra in the Bint Jbeil district, damaging part of the house and injuring two civilians. It was also reported that a quadcopter had been used to attack the town earlier.

In addition, Israeli military activity has been reported in various places in the Ali al-Taher Mountains, Dawhat Kafr Rumman, Deir Syrian and al-Qantara areas. Local sources also reported that an Israeli tank has entered the Wadi al-Huzayr area.

Some local residents complain that they are being pressured to leave their respective areas through continuous attacks. They believe that one of the objectives of the attacks is to punish areas that support resistance groups.

After reports that seven members of the same family were killed and three were injured in an attack in the town of Ansar on Saturday, local residents have also expressed doubts about the government's initiative to establish peace through direct talks with Israel.

Israel prepares for several days of conflict in Lebanon

Meanwhile, the Israeli army is preparing for a new conflict that could last several days, in addition to continuing its attacks in southern Lebanon, according to Israeli media.

A report by Israel's Channel 12, citing unidentified military sources, said that the army is preparing for a situation in which the war in Lebanon could last for several days. According to the report, Israel is planning more attacks targeting Hezbollah infrastructure. They claim that Tel Aviv wants to continue the operation until the infrastructure is destroyed.

Channel 12 also claimed that dozens of Hezbollah members are trapped in underground positions in the Jabal Ali al-Taher area of ​​southern Lebanon. However, no detailed evidence was provided for this claim.

The Israeli media claimed that Israel has shown some "restraint" in recent days so as not to damage the ongoing US-mediated talks with the Lebanese government.

The report said that the Israeli political leadership did not approve any of the operations that the army proposed to carry out in response to Hezbollah's activities. The decision was made so as not to disrupt the negotiation process.

However, tensions have been rising on the Lebanese border in recent weeks. Despite US-brokered efforts to broker a peace deal between Israel and Lebanon, Israeli military operations in southern Lebanon continue.

According to Lebanese authorities, the Israeli military operation that began on March 2 has killed 4,346 people, injured 12,301, and displaced more than a million.

Israel also occupies several areas in southern Lebanon.

Share: